Awake my soul and with the sun
1) Awake, my soul, and with the sun
Thy daily stage of duty run;
Shake off dull sloth, and joyful rise
To pay thy morning sacrifice.
2) Thy precious time mis-spent, redeem,
Each present day thy last esteem;
Improve thy talent with due care,
For the great day thyself prepare.
3) In conversation be sincere,
Keep conscience as the noon-tide clear:
Think how all-seeing God thy ways
And all thy secret thoughts surveys.
4) By influence of the light divine,
Let thy own light to others shine,
Reflect all heaven's propitious rays,
In ardent love, and cheerful praise.
5) Wake, and lift up thyself, my heart,
And with the angels bear thy part,
Who all night long unwearied sing
High praise to the eternal King.
6) I wake, I wake; ye heavenly choir,
May your devotion me inspire,
That I like you my age may spend,
Like you may on my God attend.
7) May I like you in God delight,
Have all day long my God in sight,
Perform like you my Maker's will,
O may I never more do ill.
8) Had I your Wings, to Heaven I'd fly,
But God shall that defect supply,
And my Soul wing’d with warm desire,
Shall all day long to Heav’n aspire.
9) All praise to Thee who safe hast kept,
And hast refresh’d me whilst I slept.
Grant Lord, when I from death shall wake,
I may of endless Light partake.
10) I would not wake, nor rise again,
And Heav’n itself I would disdain;
Were't not Thou there to be enjoy’d,
And I in Hymns to be employ’d.
11) Heav’n is, dear Lord, where e’er Thou art,
O never then from me depart ;
For to my Soul, ’tis Hell to be,
But for one moment void of Thee.
12) Lord, I my vows to Thee renew,
Disperse my sins as Morning dew,
Guard my first springs of Thought and Will,
And with Thy self my Spirit fill.
13) Direct, control, suggest, this day,
All I design, or do, or say,
That all my Powers with all their might,
In Thy sole Glory may unite.
14) Praise God, from whom all blessings flow,
Praise Him all Creatures here below,
Praise Him above ye Heavenly Host,
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.