The strife is o'er, the battle done
1) The strife is over, the battle done;
the victory of life is won;
the song of triumph has begun.
2) The powers of death have done their worst,
but Christ their legions has dispersed.
Let shouts of holy joy outburst.
3) The three sad days are quickly sped;
he rises glorious from the dead.
All glory to our risen Head.
4) He closed the yawning gates of hell;
the bars from heaven's high portals fell.
Let hymns of praise his triumph tell.
5) Lord, by the stripes which wounded thee,
from death's dread sting thy servants free,
that we may live and sing to thee.
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!