There's a wideness in God's mercy
1) There’s a wideness in God’s mercy,
Like the wideness of the sea;
There’s a kindness in His justice,
Which is more than liberty.
2) There is no place where earth’s sorrows
Are more felt than up in Heaven;
There is no place where earth’s failings
Have such kindly judgment given.
3) There is welcome for the sinner,
And more graces for the good;
There is mercy with the Savior;
There is healing in His blood.
4) There is grace enough for thousands
Of new worlds as great as this;
There is room for fresh creations
In that upper home of bliss.
5) For the love of God is broader
Than the measure of our mind;
And the heart of the Eternal
Is most wonderfully kind.
6) There is plentiful redemption
In the blood that has been shed;
There is joy for all the members
In the sorrows of the Head.
7) ’Tis not all we owe to Jesus;
It is something more than all;
Greater good because of evil,
Larger mercy through the fall.
8) If our love were but more simple,
We should take Him at His word;
And our lives would be all sunshine
In the sweetness of our Lord.
9) Souls of men! why will ye scatter
Like a crowd of frightened sheep?
Foolish hearts! why will ye wander
From a love so true and deep?
10) It is God: His love looks mighty,
But is mightier than it seems;
’Tis our Father: and His fondness
Goes far out beyond our dreams.
11) But we make His love too narrow
By false limits of our own;
And we magnify His strictness
With a zeal He will not own.
12) Was there ever kinder shepherd
Half so gentle, half so sweet,
As the Savior who would have us
Come and gather at His feet?