What shall I do my god to love
1) What shall I do, my God to love,
My loving God to praise!
The length, and breadth, and height to prove
And depth of sovereign grace?
2) Thy sovereign grace to all extends,
Immense and unconfined;
From age to age it never ends,
It reaches all mankind.
3) Throughout the world its breadth is known,
Wide as infinity,
So wide it never passed by one;
Or it had passed by me.
4) My trespass was grown up to Heaven;
But far above the skies,
In Christ abundantly forgiven,
I see Thy mercies rise!
5) The depth of all-redeeming love,
What angel-tongue can tell?
O may I to the utmost prove
The gift unspeakable!
6) Deeper than hell, it plucked me thence;
Deeper than inbred sin:
Jesus’ love my heart shall cleanse,
When Jesus enters in.
7) Come quickly, then, my Lord, and take
Possession of Thine own;
My longing heart vouchsafe to make
Thine everlasting throne.
8) Assert Thy claim, receive Thy right,
Come quickly from above,
And sink me to perfection’s height,
The depth of humble love.