For all the saints
1) For all Thy Saints, who from their labours rest,
Who Thee by faith before the world confessed,
Thy Name, O Jesu, be for ever blest.
2) Thou wast their Rock, their Fortress, and their Might;
Thou, Lord, their Captain in the well-fought fight;
Thou, in the darkness drear, their Light of light.
3) For the Apostles’ glorious company,
Who, bearing forth the Cross o’er land and sea,
Shook all the mighty world, – we sing to Thee
4) For the Evangelists, by whose blest word,
Like fourfold streams, the garden of the Lord
Is fair and fruitful, – be Thy Name adored.
5) For Martyrs, who with rapture-kindled eye
Saw the bright crown descending from the sky,
And died to grasp it, – Thee we glorify.
6) Oh! may Thy soldiers, faithful still and bold,
Fight as the Saints who nobly fought of old,
And win, with them, the victors’ crown of gold.
7) O blest Communion! Fellowship divine!
We feebly struggle, they in glory shine;
Yet all are one in Thee, for all are Thine.
8) And when the strife is fierce, the warfare long,
Steals on the ear the distant triumph-song,
And hearts are brave again, and arms are strong.
9) The golden evening brightens in the west:
Soon, soon, to faithful warriors comes the rest;
Sweet is the calm of Paradise the blest.
10) But lo! there breaks a yet more glorious Day:
The saints triumphant rise in bright array;
The King of Glory passes on His way.
11) From earth’s wide bounds, from ocean’s farthest coast,
Through gates of pearl streams in the countless host,
Singing to Father, Son, and Holy Ghost